Re: BUG #16147: postgresql 12.1 (from homebrew) - pg_restore -hlocalhost --jobs=2 crashes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David Gilman
Subject Re: BUG #16147: postgresql 12.1 (from homebrew) - pg_restore -hlocalhost --jobs=2 crashes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
It looks like there is a whole bunch of problems here:

- Bill Tihen's original post about restoring over sockets
- sailor's post about "out-of-order restore request" failure
- David Zhang's crash inside of GSS

I was running into the "out-of-order restore request" issue. My post
above was the first half of my investigations and was incorrect. The
"out-of-order restore request" comes from custom dumps who were
written to a non-seekable file descriptor. They silently lack certain
metadata and can't be used for parallel restores in PostgreSQL 12 or
later. If you're running into "out-of-order restore request" errors
try running pg_dump with the -f flag to force it to create a dump file
with the correct metadata. If you can't change how the dumps are made
you can't use parallel pg_restore with them. There's isn't a code fix
to this problem, everything is working as expected, but I've sent in a
patch to help document the behavior.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALBH9DDuJ%2BscZc4MEvw5uO-%3DvRyR2%3DQF9%2BYh%3D3hPEnKHWfS81A%40mail.gmail.com

--
David Gilman