Re: 4B row limit for CLOB tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roger Pack
Subject Re: 4B row limit for CLOB tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/29/15, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/29/15, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello.  I see on this page a mention of basically a 4B row limit for
>>> tables that have BLOB's
>>
>> Oops I meant for BYTEA or TEXT columns, but it's possible the
>> reasoning is the same...
>
> It only applies to large objects, not bytea or text.

OK I think I figured out possibly why the wiki says this.  I guess
BYTEA entries > 8KB will be autostored via TOAST, which uses an OID in
its backend.  So BYTEA have the same limitation.  It appears that
disabling TOAST is not an option [1]?
So I guess if the number of BYTEA entries (in the sum all tables?
partitioning doesn't help?) with size > 8KB is > 4 billion then there
is actually no option there? (I'm not running into that case just
conjecturing).
Thanks!
-roger-

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130405140348.GC4326@awork2.anarazel.de