Re: Huge delay to finish even having all the records inserted - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Franca Fernandes
Subject Re: Huge delay to finish even having all the records inserted
Date
List pgsql-general
Yep, you're right!

Thank you for your feedback!

[]s
Alex

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 12/23/2015 06:49 AM, Alexander Franca Fernandes wrote:
Hi,

I'm inserting 14 millions records from a text file using the Postgre
COPY command.

So how did you execute this?

In other words what is the script you used?

After waiting five days I've realized that all the records seems to be
already inserted,

but the process is still running!!

From what I see it is not running:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/monitoring-stats.html#PG-STAT-ACTIVITY-VIEW

idle: The backend is waiting for a new client command.

Looks to me whatever you used to run the COPY connected and then never disconnected and Postgres is waiting for more instructions on that connection.

I don't know if there's any internal postgresql process that impose that
I have to wait even having the records shown in a SELECT query...

I don't know if it's safe to cancel the process right now.

Here's the activity query result (I've cut the columns into lines):

postgres=# SELECT * from pg_stat_activity ;

  datid  |
--------+
  136776 |
-----------------
  datname  |
----------+
  xyzdb    |

-----------------
  procpid |
---------+-
   303311 |

-----------------
usesysid |
---------+-
    16387 |

-----------------
usename  |
---------+
xyz      |

-----------------

           current_query           |
----------------------------------+-
  <IDLE>                           |

--------------------------------------

waiting |
--------+
f       |

-----------------
           xact_start           |
-------------------------------+

           query_start          |
  2015-12-18 12:01:05.553534-06 |

          backend_start         | client_addr | client_port
  2015-12-18 12:01:05.547759-06 |             |          -1

[]s
Alex

--
Adrian Klaver