GSoC-Improvements in my Ideas for Geospatial Query Viewer for pgAdmin4 - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Rahul Soshte
Subject GSoC-Improvements in my Ideas for Geospatial Query Viewer for pgAdmin4
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

I had earlier proposed to use 'Layers' functionality where a query containing PostGIS Geometry/Geography will be converted to a Seperate Layer for the MapView while building a GeoSpatial Query Viewer.

My Proposal Link,

I recently came across a Redmine ticket whose link is given as follows.
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1407

Which is a  Feature #1407 which was added about 2 years ago
Which mentions
1)Switching between the resultset grid and the MapView.
2)A parser in Javascript
3)Using OpenLayers

Considering the above points I would like to Improve the idea further by not going ahead with the "Layer Functionality" but with the following procedure and thus decreasing the ambiguity in the way of achieving  the goal of the project,

1) Addition of a Panel for MapView in the resultset grid

2) pgAdmin4 uses a library called jQuery-contextMenu.
For rendering a geometry column user will able select the column,User will open a contextMenu like in this image.

He will have option of 'Render in MapView'
Now when we switch to the MapView Panel we can see the ouput.

Also in the MapView Panel we can give the options of selecting the particular geometry/geography columns the User want to Render.

3)After deciding on the columns to render, the data will be converted to GeoJSON format by using JavaScript and Ajax.

This data will be displayed using OpenLayers in the MapView Panel.

This I feel is doable , achievable within a span of 3 month(Refer GSoC Timeline) along with Testing of the code.

Regards,
Rahul Soshte ( Hunter )

Attachment