sslcompression / PGSSLCOMPRESSION not behaving as documented? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maciek Sakrejda
Subject sslcompression / PGSSLCOMPRESSION not behaving as documented?
Date
Re: sslcompression / PGSSLCOMPRESSION not behaving as documented?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
I'm having a hard time getting SSL compression working (or even figuring out why it's not working) with my local Postgres server. The setting [1] is documented to default to on, but according to the banner when I connect with psql, it's off. It's still off even if I explicitly set PGSSLCOMPRESSION=1:

maciek@gamera:~$ PGSSLCOMPRESSION=1 psql -h localhost
psql (9.4.0, server 9.2.9)
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.2, cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, bits: 256, compression: off)
Type "help" for help.

Nothing interesting in the logs. As far as I can tell, my OpenSSL version is recent enough to support this:

maciek@gamera:~$ ldd /usr/lib/postgresql/9.2/bin/postgres  | grep ssl
    libssl.so.1.0.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 (0x00007f144a25d000)

(is that the right way to check?)

I'm running this on Ubuntu 14.04 with PGDG Postgres packages. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Maciek