Re: Accidentally truncated pg_type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Accidentally truncated pg_type
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On 12/07/11 08:12, Matthew Byrne wrote:
>> I have a large database full of irreplaceable data, and due to a
>> ridiculous happenstance I accidentally executed this code (as a superuser,
>> of course):
>>
>> DELETE FROM pg_catalog.pg_type;
>>
>> Now the database is *seriously* unhappy - every SQL command returns an
>> error message.  How do I get at my data?
>
> Oh, once you've copied your database you should stop the postmaster and
> not start it again without further advice/instructions. The data in
> pg_type may not have been vacuumed or overwritten yet if you haven't
> been messing about trying to fix it before asking for help.

Second the suggestion of copying everything.  Of course with
autovacuum the chances that things have been vacuumed is not 0 and may
be fairly high depending on configuration.

In addition to those suggestions, the obvious question is:

Do you have backups?  What do they contain?  How old are they?  What
sort of backups do you have?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers