Re: Writing WAL files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Inder
Subject Re: Writing WAL files
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 18:29, Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com> wrote:

If you setup a scripted process to update a single row with a timestamptz on the source/primary every minute, then you have a very simple consistent change and also a way to check on the replica what is current time vs last_scripted_update_time if you will and know the approx lag. It would seem like a simple albeit hacky solution to you wanting a file every X minutes regardless of server activity.

I'd thought of going half way to that, and just have a cron job for
   psql -c 'CHECKPOINT'
which doesn't give me the quantitative indication I'd get from updating a timestamp, but doesn't commit me to know about any particular database, either.

The thing that I find most disconcerting is that the documentation for Version 12 says checkpoint_timeout is
    "Maximum time between automatic WAL checkpoints"

But the change Adrian Klaverd highlighted suggests that this is deliberately no longer the case,
and I am left wondering what it does, in fact do/mean now.

By the by, top-posting (reply above all quoted text) is discouraged on these groups.

Indeed.  Once upon a time, my signature use to be along the lines of

So what?  It's easier for me, so I'll do it!

> > What's wrong with top posting?
> It makes it hard to see comments in context.

Robert.

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH