Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dinesh Kumar
Subject Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi John,

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM, John Foelster <johnfoelster@comcast.net> wrote:

I’m migrating some moderately sized DBs from Access to Postgres because I can’t deal with Access’ performance issues and ANSI SQL noncompliance.

I hit a snag at a rather unexpected place.  Before we get started I should state that I’m using PGAdmin 1.16.1 on a Windows 8 64 bit machine.  I’m aware that this last bit shows appalling judgment.  The server is on the same machine and is running PostGres 9.2, whichever flavor was stable circa 1/31/13 according to the installation date.

Now I need to make this into a secured web server using my own machine as the server.  This entailed making some nice little logins for the purpose of providing that access.  I used the PGAdmin UI and set the passwords for the new logins via the role creation UI.  I was fairly sure that I had set them to a nice high quality password, let’s pretend it was “CorrectHorseBatteryStaple”.  I tried using the logins via psqlODBC to shepherd the data from Access via SQLExpress and got a password failure.  Needing to keep things moving, I switched to the postgres default login for the data transfer.  Thinking that I must have just got the password wrong I tried correcting it through the UI.  So then I tried setting the master password through the UI.  Ooops.  I was able to regain access by setting the pg_hba.conf to trust all connections, but even when I used the ALTER ROLE SQL statement, I still could not reset the password.

It seem, you are importing/exporting the data from SQL Server's SQLExpress dump module. Could you double check that you are using the new created logins for the psqlODBC connection. In windows, i believe we have "Test Connection" option while creating the ODBC connection. Is your "Test Connection" got successful.

I think I must be missing something fundamental, and I suspect it has to do with MD5 encryption, but I’m at a loss as to what.

Any idea how to set up security properly for someone who openly admits to being more analyst than DBA?

You can try with other password authentication methods like , "password", "sspi", e.t.c. Please try this link for more authentications.

Dinesh

--
Dinesh Kumar
Software Engineer

Ph: +918087463317
Skype ID: dinesh.kumar432
www.enterprisedb.com

Follow us on Twitter

@EnterpriseDB

Visit EnterpriseDB for tutorials, webinars, whitepapers and more