Password setting having somewhat bizarre results. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From John Foelster
Subject Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date
List pgadmin-support
Ican’t deal with Access’ performance issues and ANSI SQL noncompliance.<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">I hit
asnag at a rather unexpected place.  Before we get started I should state that I’m using PGAdmin 1.16.1 on a Windows 8
64bit machine.  I’m aware that this last bit shows appalling judgment.  The server is on the same machine and is
runningPostGres 9.2, whichever flavor was stable circa 1/31/13 according to the installation date.<p
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal">Now I need to make this into a secured web server using my own machine as the
server. This entailed making some nice little logins for the purpose of providing that access.  I used the PGAdmin UI
andset the passwords for the new logins via the role creation UI.  I was fairly sure that I had set them to a nice high
qualitypassword, let’s pretend it was “CorrectHorseBatteryStaple”.  I tried using the logins via psqlODBC to shepherd
thedata from Access via SQLExpress and got a password failure.  Needing to keep things moving, I switched to the
postgresdefault login for the data transfer.  Thinking that I must have just got the password wrong I tried correcting
itthrough the UI.  So then I tried setting the master password through the UI.  Ooops.  I was able to regain access by
settingthe pg_hba.conf to trust all connections, but even when I used the ALTER ROLE SQL statement, I still could not
resetthe password.<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">I think I must be missing something fundamental, and I
suspectit has to do with MD5 encryption, but I’m at a loss as to what.<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">Any
ideahow to set up security properly for someone who openly admits to being more analyst than DBA?<p
class="MsoNormal"> </div>