Re: How to handle things that change over time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Heinen
Subject Re: How to handle things that change over time?
Date
List pgsql-general
I"m a big fan of a table / table_history combo. Meaning, if you have a person and that person can have different states that change frequently, you can do something like this:

create table people(
person_id
person_name
)

create table people_state_history(
person_id references people,
effective tsrange not null
    default tsrange(clock_timestamp()::timestamp without time zone, 'infinity'),

primary key (person_id, effective),

person_state
)

Use a constraint so you can't have overlapping effective ranges:
alter table person_state_history add
constraint no_overlapping_person_state_history
exclude using gist (
    cast(person_id as text ) with =,
    effective with &&);

Then, to see a person's state at the current time, you can do something like this:

select person_id, person_state from people_state_history where effective <@ now()::timestamp without time zone
(and add your joins in as well).

We've also created a trigger, so any new insert on the state_history table will automatically close the last row.

create or replace function set_event_history_in_use ()
returns trigger
as
$$

    begin

        update person_state_history
        set effective = tsrange(lower(effective),
            clock_timestamp()::timestamp without time zone)
        where clock_timestamp()::timestamp without time zone <@ effective
        and person_id = NEW.person_id;
        NEW.effective := tsrange(clock_timestamp()::timestamp without time zone, 'infinity');
        return NEW;

    end;
$$
language plpgsql;

Then, depending on business requirements, you can create this dual table to track history across time. If salaries are something people would like to see over time, then you could do a person_salary_history table, etc.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Rob Heinen