Re: Determine in a trigger if UPDATE query really changed anything - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitar
Subject Re: Determine in a trigger if UPDATE query really changed anything
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 12:31 AM George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:
> You're still thinking in terms of deltas for the whole table.  Think
> individual rows instead.
>
> With a BY ROW trigger, the difference between the NEW and OLD
> variables lets you see the changes to the particular row.

I was thinking of the statement trigger because I thought this is what
works on materialized views. Now I see that this is not true anyway.

But still, I am using these triggers to do a materialized view
refresh. I would prefer to do those at the statement level and not at
the row level? So that I run the refresh only once per base table
changes. For pushing notification this can be done at the row level.

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m