Re: Speeding up INSERTs and UPDATEs to partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Speeding up INSERTs and UPDATEs to partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 15 October 2018 at 23:04, Krzysztof Nienartowicz
<krzysztof.nienartowicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> We see quite prohibitive 5-6x slowdown with native partitioning on in
> comparison to trigger based in PG9.5.
> This is clearly visible with highly parallel inserts (Can share
> flamediagrams comparing the two).

Does the 0001 patch here fix the problem? I imagined that it would be
the locking of all partitions that would have killed the performance.

> This basically excludes native partitioning from being used by us. Do you
> think your changes could be backported to PG10? - we checked and this would
> need quite a number of changes but given the weight of this change maybe it
> could be considered?

It's very unlikely to happen, especially so with the 0002 patch, which
I've so far just attached as a demonstration of where the performance
could end up.