Re: [HACKERS] modeling parallel contention (was: Parallel Append implementation) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: [HACKERS] modeling parallel contention (was: Parallel Append implementation)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5 May 2017 at 14:54, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Just for fun, check out pages 42 and 43 of Wei Hong's thesis.  He
> worked on Berkeley POSTGRES parallel query and a spin-off called XPRS,
> and they got linear seq scan scaling up to number of spindles:
>
> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/ERL-M93-28.pdf

That's interesting. I'd no idea that work was done. Actually, I didn't
really know that anyone had thought to have more than one processor
back then :-)

And I also now know the origins of the tenk1 table in the regression
database. Those 10,000 rows were once used for benchmarking! I'm glad
we're all using a couple more rows these days.

-- David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services