Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2017/05/03 2:48, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 3:30 AM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> You're right.  I agree that whatever text we add here should be pointing
>>> out that statement-level triggers of affected child tables are not fired,
>>> when root parent is specified in the command.
>>>
>>> Since there was least some talk of changing that behavior for regular
>>> inheritance so that statement triggers of any affected children are fired
>>> [1], I thought we shouldn't say something general that applies to both
>>> inheritance and partitioning.  But since nothing has happened in that
>>> regard, we might as well.
>>>
>>> How about the attached?
>>
>> Looks better, but I think we should say "statement" instead of
>> "operation" for consistency with the previous paragraph, and it
>> certainly shouldn't be capitalized.
>
> Agreed, done.  Attached updated patch.
   <para>
+    A statement that targets the root table in a inheritance or partitioning
+    hierarchy does not cause the statement-level triggers of affected child
+    tables to be fired; only the root table's statement-level triggers are
+    fired.  However, row-level triggers of any affected child tables will be
+    fired.
+   </para>
+
+   <para>

Why talk specifically about the "root" table?  Wouldn't we describe
the situation more generally if we said [a,the] "parent"?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com