Re: BRIN cost estimate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: BRIN cost estimate
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27 March 2017 at 00:44, Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:
> If we want to have a variable which stores the number of ranges, then
> I think numRanges is better than numBlocks. I can't imagine many
> people would disagree there.

I renamed it with other two.

> At the very least please write a comment to explain this in the code.
> Right now it looks broken. If I noticed this then one day in the
> future someone else will. If you write a comment then person of the
> future will likely read it, and then not raise any questions about the
> otherwise questionable code.

I added a sentence about it.

> I do strongly agree that the estimates need improved here. I've
> personally had issues with bad brin estimates before, and I'd like to
> see it improved. I think the patch is not quite complete without it
> also considering stats on expression indexes. If you have time to go
> do that I'd suggest you go ahead with that.

I copy-pasted expression index support from btcostestimate() as well,
and extended the regression test.

I think this function can use more polishing before committing, but I
don't know where to begin.  There are single functions for every
access method in here.  I don't like them being in there to begin
with.  selfuncs.s is quite long with all kinds of dependencies and
dependents.  I think it would be better to have the access method
selectivity estimation functions under src/access.  Maybe we should
start doing so by moving this to src/access/brin/brin_selfuncs.c.
What do you think?

Looking over this again.

- cond := format('%I %s %L', r.colname, r.oper, r.value);
+ cond := format('%s %s %L', r.colname, r.oper, r.value);

Why did you change this? It seems unrelated.

+ indexRel = index_open(index->indexoid, AccessShareLock);
+ pagesPerRange = Min(BrinGetPagesPerRange(indexRel), baserel->pages);
+ Assert(baserel->pages > 0);
+ Assert(pagesPerRange > 0);
+ rangeProportion = (double) pagesPerRange / baserel->pages;
+ numRanges = 1.0 + (double) baserel->pages / pagesPerRange;
+ index_close(indexRel, AccessShareLock);

Why do you add 1.0 to numRanges? This gives one too many ranges.

I also don't really like the way you're setting pagesPerRange. I'd suggest keeping that as the raw value from the index metadata, and doing:

If you want the actual number of ranges then I think this is best expressed as:

numRanges = Max(ceil(baserel->pages / pagesPerRange), 1.0);

The rangeProportion variable could be calculated based on that too rangeProportion = 1.0 / numRanges;

That way you don't have to rely on relpages being > 0. It seems like a bad assumption to make. I see there's some hack in estimate_rel_size() making that true, but I think it's best not to rely on that hack.

- qual_op_cost = cpu_operator_cost *
- (list_length(indexQuals) + list_length(indexOrderBys));
-
  *indexStartupCost += qual_arg_cost;
  *indexTotalCost += qual_arg_cost;
- *indexTotalCost += (numTuples * *indexSelectivity) * (cpu_index_tuple_cost + qual_op_cost);
  *indexPages = index->pages;

- /* XXX what about pages_per_range? */
+ /*
+ * Add index qual op costs.  Unlike other indexes, we are not processing
+ * tuples but ranges.
+ */
+ qual_op_cost = cpu_operator_cost * list_length(indexQuals);
+ *indexTotalCost += numRanges * qual_op_cost;

What's the reason for removing the  + list_length(indexOrderBys) here? I don't think it's the business of this patch to touch that. BRIN may one day support that by partition sorting non-overlapping ranges, so that could well be why it was there in the first place.

- *indexTotalCost += (numTuples * *indexSelectivity) * (cpu_index_tuple_cost + qual_op_cost);
+ *indexTotalCost += selec * numTuples * cpu_index_tuple_cost;

Why is this not being charged qual_op_cost anymore?

+ * Our starting point is that BRIN selectivity has to be less than the
+ * selectivity of the btree.  We are using a product of logical and

Can you explain why this is the case?

+ * class "minmax", and makes a little sense for the other one "inclusion".

"and" I think should be "but"

I think it would also be good to write some regression tests for this. All the changes I see that you did make to brin.sql seem unrelated to this patch.

I've also attached a spreadsheet that can be used to play around with the estimates your patch is giving.

--
 David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
Attachment