Re: BRIN cost estimate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Emre Hasegeli
Subject Re: BRIN cost estimate
Date
Re: BRIN cost estimate  (David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> If we want to have a variable which stores the number of ranges, then
> I think numRanges is better than numBlocks. I can't imagine many
> people would disagree there.

I renamed it with other two.

> At the very least please write a comment to explain this in the code.
> Right now it looks broken. If I noticed this then one day in the
> future someone else will. If you write a comment then person of the
> future will likely read it, and then not raise any questions about the
> otherwise questionable code.

I added a sentence about it.

> I do strongly agree that the estimates need improved here. I've
> personally had issues with bad brin estimates before, and I'd like to
> see it improved. I think the patch is not quite complete without it
> also considering stats on expression indexes. If you have time to go
> do that I'd suggest you go ahead with that.

I copy-pasted expression index support from btcostestimate() as well,
and extended the regression test.

I think this function can use more polishing before committing, but I
don't know where to begin.  There are single functions for every
access method in here.  I don't like them being in there to begin
with.  selfuncs.s is quite long with all kinds of dependencies and
dependents.  I think it would be better to have the access method
selectivity estimation functions under src/access.  Maybe we should
start doing so by moving this to src/access/brin/brin_selfuncs.c.
What do you think?

Attachment