Re: BUG #13586: Repository/Distribution issues - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #13586: Repository/Distribution issues
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Dmitry Shvedov <dmt.shvedov@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Michael, thanks for your response.
> You're right about the PATH. However, it's a fresh linux install and
> postgres has not been installed here before. What happened was that the
> installation from this repo:
> deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ trusty-pgdg main
> did not add the executable to the PATH automatically as any installation
> on Debian derivatives always does. Perhaps there's a valid reason for thi=
s,
> but it's not a behavior that I expected. If it makes sense maybe the
> installation packages should be modified to do that? Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Michael Paquier <
> michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:06 AM,  <dmt.shvedov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Operating system:   Linux Mint
>> > After installing all packages, cannot launch postgres:
>> >
>> > $ postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>> > The program 'postgres' is currently not installed. You can install it =
by
>> > typing:
>> > sudo apt-get install postgres-xc
>> > [...]
>> > I assume I need postgres-xc, but that package is not in your repo, I
>> only
>> > have the one from Ubuntu - for older version of Postgres.

=E2=80=8BI am reasonably certain that the reason "postgres" is not on the p=
ath is
because the package supplies various "cluster-managing" versions (wrappers)
of (over) the executables that are intended to be run instead.  If you
choose to forgo those wrappers and do things directly you are expected to
be able to manage the necessary changes to make that work.

David J.
=E2=80=8B