Re: Transaction ISOLATION LEVEL - have I missed something? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Transaction ISOLATION LEVEL - have I missed something?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thursday, May 13, 2021, Pól Ua Laoínecháin <linehanp@tcd.ie> wrote:
Hi David, and thanks for getting back to me.

>> Am I wrong about this?
> Transaction isolation levels are immaterial here.  The functions define what time they return:

Ah, yes, it now makes perfect sense...

All statements in a transaction which is READ COMMITTED sees the data
as of CLOCK_TIMESTAMP() and all statements in a transaction that is
SERIALIZABLE see the data as of TRANSACTION_TIMESTAMP().

At least, that's how I understand it now - my error was not
double-checking my function definitions.

No.  The isolation level is immaterial to which times are returned.  I welcome being proven wrong but nothing I’ve read in that link suggests otherwise so I’m disinclined to prove it correct.

David J.