Re: [BUGFIX] amcanbackward is not checked before building backwardindex paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [BUGFIX] amcanbackward is not checked before building backwardindex paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'll fix the docs accordingly. I'm referring specifically to this bit:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-info.html#FUNCTIONS-INFO-INDEX-PROPS
> which I think should say "Can the scan direction be changed in
> mid-scan?" in place of the current text (unless anyone has better
> wording?)

Maybe "Can the scan direction be reversed in mid-scan?".  I'm not
absolutely sure that that's better ...

​A cursory read might conclude that "reversing" can only happen once while they will likely understand that "changing" can happen multiple times.  This is minor point - the two are effectively the same.

Maybe: "Supports both FETCH FORWARD and FETCH BACKWARD during the same scan"

Or:

"Supports SCROLL(able) WITHOUT HOLD cursors"

David J.