Re: [BUGFIX] amcanbackward is not checked before building backward index paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGFIX] amcanbackward is not checked before building backward index paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Maybe "Can the scan direction be reversed in mid-scan?".  I'm not
>> absolutely sure that that's better ...

> ​A cursory read might conclude that "reversing" can only happen once while
> they will likely understand that "changing" can happen multiple times.
> This is minor point - the two are effectively the same.
> Maybe: "Supports both FETCH FORWARD and FETCH BACKWARD during the same scan"

Oh, yeah, mentioning what it's *for* would help clarify things, no?
So perhaps

"Can the scan direction be changed in mid-scan (to support FETCH FORWARD
and FETCH BACKWARD on a cursor)?"

> Or:
> "Supports SCROLL(able) WITHOUT HOLD cursors"

That seems a bit more vague/indirect.