Re: Typos/Questions in bloom documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Typos/Questions in bloom documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, April 20, 2016, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 2016/04/21 6:51, David G. Johnston wrote:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/bloom.html
>
> F.4.3 Examples
>
> Claims that the signature length is 80 bits - shouldn't it be 8?

In F.4.1. Introduction:

... The user can specify signature length (in uint16, default is 5)

So, it seems right to me.

Great.  Maybe you can consider re-wording it so others can understand.  I have no clue how 80bits is determined.  The phase you quote is obtuse to the casual user as well.  If that means 16x5=80 irrespective of columns it is not clear.

This may be a function of this not being considered user-space code but something to exercise tests.  But if we are going to publish it as an extension its seems worthy of helping people decide when and how to use them.  The docs as written fail to do that - and reading the Wikipedia page doesn't cut it either,

David J.