Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'm mostly with Stephen on this.  As the names stand, they encourage
> people to go look at the documentation,
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/storage-file-layout.html
> which will provide more information than you'd ever get out of any
> reasonable directory name.

Well, we could change them all to pg_a, pg_b, pg_c, pg_d, ... which
would encourage that even more strongly.  But I don't think that
proposal can be taken seriously.  Giving things meaningful names is a
good practice in almost every case.

Those don't have the virtue of being at least somewhat ​
nemonic
​ like pg_xact.

I'll toss my lot in with Steven's and Tom's on this.

​I have no problem continuing keeping with historical precedent ​and allowing mnemonic abbreviations in our directory and file names at this point.

David J.