Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'm mostly with Stephen on this.  As the names stand, they encourage
> people to go look at the documentation,
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/storage-file-layout.html
> which will provide more information than you'd ever get out of any
> reasonable directory name.

Well, we could change them all to pg_a, pg_b, pg_c, pg_d, ... which
would encourage that even more strongly.  But I don't think that
proposal can be taken seriously.  Giving things meaningful names is a
good practice in almost every case.

> Having said that, I still don't like "pg_logical", but I suppose
> renaming it would have more downsides than upsides.

Remind me what your beef is?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company