Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 02:23:32PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I don't see one single one of those subdirectory names that I'd call
>>> self-documenting.

>> That's a problem we should do something about, even if we can't do it
>> by renaming these all in one go.  At the very least, we can do this
>> for any new names.

> I disagree that excessivly long names for files or directories are
> useful and should be fully self-documenting.

I'm mostly with Stephen on this.  As the names stand, they encourage
people to go look at the documentation,
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/storage-file-layout.html
which will provide more information than you'd ever get out of any
reasonable directory name.

Having said that, I still don't like "pg_logical", but I suppose
renaming it would have more downsides than upsides.