Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 02:23:32PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:

> > > Heaven forfend we actually use enough characters to make it self-documenting.
> >
> > $ ls $PGDATA
> > PG_VERSION     pg_dynshmem/   pg_notify/     pg_stat_tmp/  postgresql.auto.conf
> > base/          pg_hba.conf    pg_replslot/   pg_subtrans/  postgresql.conf
> > global/        pg_ident.conf  pg_serial/     pg_tblspc/    postmaster.opts
> > pg_clog/       pg_logical/    pg_snapshots/  pg_twophase/  postmaster.pid
> > pg_commit_ts/  pg_multixact/  pg_stat/       pg_wal/
> >
> > I don't see one single one of those subdirectory names that I'd call
> > self-documenting.
>
> That's a problem we should do something about, even if we can't do it
> by renaming these all in one go.  At the very least, we can do this
> for any new names.

I disagree that excessivly long names for files or directories are
useful and should be fully self-documenting.  We should name our
directories with useful hints at what they are used for that remind
those who are knowledgable where things live.  Secondary to that is
using an approach to naming which avoid implying anything about the
directories to those who are *not* knowledgable, which leads us to the
current discussion regarding the removal of directories with 'log' in
the name.

Individuals who are not knowledgable in this area are not going to get
any more benefit from a directory named 'pg_trans' or
'pg_transaction_status' than one named 'pg_clog' or 'pg_xact' and
therefore this whole line of reasoning is a red herring.

Thanks!

Stephen