Re: Document parameter count limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Document parameter count limit
Date
Re: Document parameter count limit
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 11:47 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Does this come up enough to document it?  I assume the error message the
> user receives is clear.

Looks like you get

    if (nParams < 0 || nParams > PQ_QUERY_PARAM_MAX_LIMIT)
    {
        libpq_append_conn_error(conn, "number of parameters must be between 0 and %d",
                           PQ_QUERY_PARAM_MAX_LIMIT);
        return 0;
    }

which seems clear enough.

I think the concern here is that somebody who's not aware that a limit
exists might write an application that thinks it can send lots of
parameters, and then have it fall over in production.  Now, I've got
doubts that an entry in the limits.sgml table will do much to prevent
that scenario.  But perhaps offering the advice to use an array parameter
will be worthwhile even after-the-fact.

It comes up enough in places I troll that having a link to drop into a reply would be nice.
I do believe that people who want to use a large parameter list likely have that question in the back of their mind, and looking at a page called "System Limits" is at least plausibly something they would do.  Since they are really caring about parse-bind-execute, and they aren't likely to dig into libpq, this seems like the best spot (as opposed to, say PREPARE)

David J.