Re: Document parameter count limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Document parameter count limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I do believe that people who want to use a large parameter list likely have
> that question in the back of their mind, and looking at a page called
> "System Limits" is at least plausibly something they would do.  Since they
> are really caring about parse-bind-execute, and they aren't likely to dig
> into libpq, this seems like the best spot (as opposed to, say PREPARE)

This is a wire-protocol limitation; libpq is only the messenger.
So if we're going to document it, I agree that limits.sgml is the place.

(BTW, I'm not certain that PREPARE has the same limit.  It'd fall over
at INT_MAX likely, or maybe sooner for lack of memory, but I don't
recall that there's any uint16 fields in that code path.)