Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 9:05 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Sep  1, 2020 at 06:14:45AM +0000, Junfeng Yang wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>

> Data in file "/tmp/data".
>
> 122,as\.d,adad
> 133,sa dad,adadad
>
> Then execute
>
> copy test from '/tmp/data' DELIMITER ',';
>
> An end-of-copy marker corrupt error will be raised.

This is the first I am hearing of this.  The problem is that the system
can't decide if \. is escaping a delimiter, or the end-of-copy marker.
I think we need to just disable period as a delimiter.  I don't think
there is enough demand to allow the end-of-data marker to be
configurable.

Interestingly, you can use period as s delimiter if you are copying from
a file that doesn't need an end-of-data marker and you never need to
escape the delimiter, but that seems like too rare a use case to allow
period to be supported as a delimiter.

Something isn't right here because the rules for end-of-copy are explicit that the \. must appear on a line all by itself.  That isn't the case with the shown test data.

The system should do one of two things with that input (it seems option 2 is the one we've chosen):

One, see that the character following the backslash is not an action character and just treat the backslash as data.
Two, complain that the character following the backslash is not a valid action character.

The system is reporting an error, it's just trying to be helpful and seeing the period it incorrectly reports that the error has something to do with the end-of-copy marker when in reality all that can be said is that "a period in this location is not valid" (unless the command uses DELIMITER '<period>' at least, in which case the period is now valid and \. means a literal period since its not alone on a line.)

The only limitation our definition of end-of-copy imposes is that a single column input file cannot contain a record that is only a period.  It does not impose a limitation on which delimiters are valid.

David J.