Re: Bug in to_timestamp(). - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Bug in to_timestamp().
Date
Re: Bug in to_timestamp().  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, June 23, 2016, Alex Ignatov <a.ignatov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Arguing just like that one can say that we don't even need exception like "division by zero". Just use well-formed numbers in denominator...
Input data  sometimes can be generated automagically. Without exception throwing debugging stored function containing to_timestamp can be painful.

to_timestamp with its present behavior is, IMO, a poorly designed function that would never be accepted today.  Concrete proposals for either fixing or deprecating (or both) are welcome.  Fixing it should not cause unnecessary errors to be raised.

My main point is that I'm inclined to deprecate it.

My second point is if you are going to use this badly designed function you need to protect yourself.

My understanding is that is not going to change for 9.6.

David J.