Re: BUG #14207: A little is lacking to be the most advanced - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #14207: A little is lacking to be the most advanced
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:14 PM, <ugostray@list.ru> wrote:

> Bug reference:      14207
> Logged by:          Eugene Quanger
> Email address:      ugostray@list.ru
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.4
> Operating system:   Win7Pro64

=E2=80=8BNot a bug.=E2=80=8B

Please add AFTER to alter table add column syntax.

I presume you want us to do more than just add the syntax...=E2=80=8B

Of course all the columns
> should be listed in insert statement and stuff, but sometimes(as for me
> it's
> all the time) for human being, who read the database with his eyes it is
> comfortable to have columns in certain order, the column order doesn't
> matter only for the machine. I moved to PostgreSQL from MySQL and I reall=
> miss this feature.

The feature to separate physical and logical column order does have some
demand.=E2=80=8B

> I thought "most advanced" is meant to suit all users.

=E2=80=8BThe lack of a single capability another open source database has d=
oes not
make us less advanced.  You need to look at the totality of the offering.
While your desire is understandable your point-of-view on this is very
biased.=E2=80=8B

Demand should create supply.

There's this thing called "critical mass".  A demand of "one" usually
doesn't create supply.  Unless, of course, that one person is willing to
pay the thousands of dollars necessary to see that their demand is supplied
- or do it themselves.

Creating another table with additional column
> and re-inserting all the data from old table to a new one is not a very
> elegant solution. I can't help disliking PostgreSQL because of that.

=E2=80=8BYou are entitled to your opinion.  Compared to everything else Pos=
tgreSQL
does well I don't find this lack of this particular feature a detraction.=
=E2=80=8B

What's
> wrong if you will implement a feature that will make people to like this =
DB
> Engine even more! It's trifle but very pleasing!

=E2=80=8BIts not "trifle" otherwise it would have already=E2=80=8B been don=
e (see comment
about existing demand).  You are welcome to comb the archives on -hackers
(and maybe -general) if you like to review past discussions on the topic
instead of just taking my word.

> And by the way I also miss SHOW CREATE TABLE(I know how to workaround wit=
> this, but a small shortcut that you always remember and can use it in
> between is also trifle but very pleasing. It's like you say to your home
> robot - "get me cuppa coffee", and don't care 'bout anything you can be
> sure
> he'll get it done)

=E2=80=8BNoted.

David J.