Re: Possible bug in psql 9.4.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Possible bug in psql 9.4.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l.rame@griensu.com> wrote:

El 26/02/16 a las 15:59, Leonardo M. Ramé escribió:
It looks like psql 9.4.4 has a bug when trying to display table info
using \d tablename.

On 9.4.2 that command displays Indexes, Constraints, Triggers, etc.
9.4.4 only displays the table fields.

Regards,

Sorry, option \t (Tuples Only) must be off to display that info.

​This is surprising (to me).

​--tuples-only:
Turn off printing of column names and result row count footers, etc.

​I guess that falls under "etc." but still...

I always thought of it that while the \d command had to run queries to obtain its data the output was basically a pre-defined screen that could be influenced by adding a "+" to the command but it otherwise operated independently of the other style-oriented commands.  So, I could choose to run my queries under whatever settings I desired but if I need to access the data dictionary for help I wouldn't have to turn off tuples-only just to see some additional info and then turn it back on when I run my query.

That said I do little interactive work with psql - I much prefer a non-CLI application for ad-hoc work - ​so maybe linking the two has value.  But to me at least I am a bit surprised.

David J.