Re: Possible bug in psql 9.4.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Possible bug in psql 9.4.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/26/2016 11:51 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l.rame@griensu.com
> <mailto:l.rame@griensu.com>>wrote:
>

>     El 26/02/16 a las 15:59, Leonardo M. Ramé escribió:
>
>         It looks like psql 9.4.4 has a bug when trying to display table info
>         using \d tablename.
>
>         On 9.4.2 that command displays Indexes, Constraints, Triggers, etc.
>         9.4.4 only displays the table fields.
>
>         Regards,
>

>     Sorry, option \t (Tuples Only) must be off to display that info.
>

> ​This is surprising (to me).
>
> ​--tuples-only:
> Turn off printing of column names and result row count footers, etc.
>
> ​I guess that falls under "etc." but still...
>
> I always thought of it that while the \d command had to run queries to
> obtain its data the output was basically a pre-defined screen that could
> be influenced by adding a "+" to the command but it otherwise operated
> independently of the other style-oriented commands.  So, I could choose
> to run my queries under whatever settings I desired but if I need to
> access the data dictionary for help I wouldn't have to turn off
> tuples-only just to see some additional info and then turn it back on
> when I run my query.

The fuller description of what happens is here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-psql.html

\pset [ option [ value ] ]

tuples_only (or t)

     If value is specified it must be either on or off which will enable
or disable tuples-only mode. If value is omitted the command toggles
between regular and tuples-only output. Regular output includes extra
information such as column headers, titles, and various footers. In
tuples-only mode, only actual table data is shown.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com