Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
 and doesn't require a developer to
interpret the results,
​[...]​

We could
also invent codes for things like "I'm doing a pg_usleep because I've
exceeded max_spins_per_delay" and "I'm waiting for a cleanup lock on a
buffer" and maybe a few others.

​In addition to the codes themselves I think it would aid less-experienced operators if we would provide a meta-data categorization of the codes.  Something like, I/O Sub-System; Storage Maintenance; Concurrency, etc..

There could be a section in the documentation with these topics as section headings and a listing and explanation of each of the possible code would then be described within.

The meta-information is already embedded within the code/descriptions but explicitly pulling them out would be, IMO, more user-friendly and likely also aid in triage and speed-of-recognition when reading the corresponding code/description.

David J.​