Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/22/2015 10:37 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

>  I'm less sure about this next part, but I think we
> might also want to report ourselves as waiting when we are doing an OS
> read or an OS write, because it's pretty common for people to think
> that a PostgreSQL bug is to blame when in fact it's the operating
> system that isn't servicing our I/O requests very quickly.  We could
> also invent codes for things like "I'm doing a pg_usleep because I've
> exceeded max_spins_per_delay" and "I'm waiting for a cleanup lock on a
> buffer" and maybe a few others.

This would be a great improvement. Many, many times the problem really
has nothing to do with PostgreSQL. It is a relation falling out of
cache, swapping, a process waiting on IO to be allocated to it. If it is
possible to have a view within PostgreSQL that allows us to see that, it
would be absolutely awesome.

It would be great if we could somehow monitor what the postgresql
processes are doing within PostgreSQL. Imagine if we had pgsar ...

Sincerely,

jD