Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Daniel Verite <daniel@manitou-mail.org> wrote:
> I'm not dead set on \rotate and suggested other names
> previously in [1], but none of them seems decisively
> superior.

Fwiw I like \rotate. It's pretty clear what it means and it sounds
similar to but not exactly the same as pivot.

rotate ~ sounds like transpose matrix, what is not true in this case.

So?  If PostgreSQL had any native matrix processing capabilities this would maybe warrant a bit of consideration.

\unfold
\rotate

Given the role that psql performs I do think \rotate to be the least problematic choice; I concur that avoiding \pivot is desirable due to SQL's usage.

David J.