Re: How to get pgsql to echo commands in a command file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: How to get pgsql to echo commands in a command file
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Michael Moore <michaeljmoore@gmail.com> wrote:
I log into pgsql and then type:
\i test.sql

test.sql contains a single SELECT command and when I run that file I see the result of the select command.. The problem is, I also want to see the SELECT command itself.

I've tried
/echo
/qecho
and a lot of other commands, but nothing works.

What do I need to do in order to see the commands in test.sql as well as the output of those commands on my pgsql window?

​\set ECHO all​
The \echo and \qecho commands​ commands only echo their arguments - they do not effect the environment.  You have to use "\set" or "\pset" (and some other commands) if you want to affect the environment of subsequent statements.

Or just invoke psql as "psql --echo-all" - optionally specifying the file "psql --echo-all -f test.sql"

The documentation is quite good, if a bit long.

I'm running on Windows 7 if that matters.

​That would explain the forward slashes...

​David J.​