Re: date with month and year - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: date with month and year
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, May 21, 2015, Daniel Torres <nobeeakon@gmail.com> wrote:
I everybody, I'm new in the Postgresql world, and have an easy question: Is it possible to have date type data that only contain month and year?, how can I obtain that from a timestamp (without time zone) column?

I've made this, but I think the result is a text, not a date

select extract (Year from '2001-05-01 20:21:00'::TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE)||'-'|| extract(Month from '2001-05-01 20:21:00'::TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE);

 You have to settle for the first of the month if you want a date type.  Date_trunc(day,...) will give you that.

I do end up having a lookup tha gassing sequential integers to sequential year-months to make calculations easier without having to carry around a date type for that sole purpose.  For presentation I want text, not a date.

User defined functions are nice here - I have a todo to publish my set to PGXN...maybe someone else already has?

David J.