Re: date with month and year - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McKown
Subject Re: date with month and year
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Daniel Torres <nobeeakon@gmail.com> wrote:
I everybody, I'm new in the Postgresql world, and have an easy question: Is it possible to have date type data that only contain month and year?, how can I obtain that from a timestamp (without time zone) column?

I've made this, but I think the result is a text, not a date

select extract (Year from '2001-05-01 20:21:00'::TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE)||'-'|| extract(Month from '2001-05-01 20:21:00'::TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE);

Any help is welcome, thanks

Daniel

​I don't think so. Mainly because a date, at least in PostgreSQL, is by definition a month, day, and year. You could just arbitrarily set the day to "01" because every month starts with day 1, I guess.​ Perhaps if you said what you want to do with this type of date field? Of course, if you really wanted to, you could create your own data type and conversions. But that still wouldn't be a "date", exactly.

--
My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii. She sells C shells down by the seashore.

If someone tell you that nothing is impossible:
Ask him to dribble a football.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown