Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 20, 2024 at 10:31 AM Jacob Champion <jacob.champion@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
 If we decide we can't, then so be it -- things will
break either way -- but it's still strange to me that we'd be okay
with literally zero forward compatibility and still call that a "minor
version".

Semantic versioning guidelines are not something we are following, especially here.

Our protocol version is really just two-part; just like our server major version used to be.  We just happen to have named both parts here, unlike with the historical server major version.

We never have implemented a protocol change during a minor server version update, it doesn't have (though maybe it needs?) a patch version part.

David J.