Re: Number of internal operations for a single DML/DDL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Number of internal operations for a single DML/DDL
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021, Nikhil Shetty <nikhil.dba04@gmail.com> wrote:
I wanted to know how many internal operations postgres performs for a single DML or DDL statement.

Why?

Apart from these what all operations does postgres do internally, I wanted an average estimated count as I know it would be difficult to get the details for each of the DML/DDL statements

Frankly, that number doesn’t exist; the nature of the input and the state of the system directly impacts what any individual command does internally and so one cannot derive a count, or even an understanding of what happens, without knowledge of those two things.  Which brings us again to “why?”.

David J.