Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:23 AM, bzb.dev001@gmail.com <bzb.dev001@gmail.co=
> wrote:

>  On 2015-04-29 12:04 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>

>  On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:09 AM, bzb.dev001@gmail.com <
> bzb.dev001@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I have even changed the ownership of the file to postgres:postgres since
> I'm logged on as another user and .pgpass is located in this user's home
> directory. Yet it still does not work.
>>

>> $ ls -l .pgpass
>> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 79 Apr 29 10:24 .pgpass
>>

>  =E2=80=8BSorry, I missed this the first time reading.  This is your prob=
lem.
> The "postgres" Linux user and the "postgres" PostgreSQL user are not
> related to each other - particularly when using md5 authentication.  The
> permissions on the .pgpass file must be of the user executing "psql" -
> which you've indicated is not "postgres".
>
>  So, likely your first attempt failed because you had whitespace.  You
> changed the permissions and now have two problems.  You then fix the
> whitespace and are back to a single problem.  Change the permissions back
> and it should now work.
>
> I've changed back the owner of .pgpass to the account that I've logged in
> as.  This is the account that I'm using to run psql.
> All the spaces in .pgpass is removed.
> Checked that the permission settings of .pgpass is ok.
> restarted the server...
>
> $ sudo service postgresql restart
>
> Unfortunately, it is still not working.
>
> $ psql  --host=3Dlocalhost --port=3D5432 --username=3Dpostgres --no-passw=
ord
> psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>
> Incidentally, the postgresql server is running as 'postgres' user.

=E2=80=8BI am out of ideas.  I am not currently running 9.4.x but if the pr=
oblem
was a bug within PostgreSQL there would be more than a single report.

David J.