Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bzb.dev001@gmail.com
Subject Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work
Date
Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
On 2015-04-29 12:04 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:09 AM, bzb.dev001@gmail.com
> <mailto:bzb.dev001@gmail.com> <bzb.dev001@gmail.com
> <mailto:bzb.dev001@gmail.com>> wrote:
>  I have even changed the ownership of the file to postgres:postgres
> since I'm logged on as another user and .pgpass is located in this
> user's home directory. Yet it still does not work.
>

>     $ ls -l .pgpass
>     -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 79 Apr 29 10:24 .pgpass
>

> ​Sorry, I missed this the first time reading.  This is your problem.
> The "postgres" Linux user and the "postgres" PostgreSQL user are not
> related to each other - particularly when using md5 authentication.
> The permissions on the .pgpass file must be of the user executing
> "psql" - which you've indicated is not "postgres".
>
> So, likely your first attempt failed because you had whitespace.  You
> changed the permissions and now have two problems.  You then fix the
> whitespace and are back to a single problem. Change the permissions
> back and it should now work.
>
> David J.
>
> ​

I've changed back the owner of .pgpass to the account that I've logged
in as.  This is the account that I'm using to run psql.
All the spaces in .pgpass is removed.
Checked that the permission settings of .pgpass is ok.
restarted the server...

$ sudo service postgresql restart

Unfortunately, it is still not working.

$ psql  --host=localhost --port=5432 --username=postgres --no-password
psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Incidentally, the postgresql server is running as 'postgres' user.