Re: BUG #13819: What is maximum limit on max_connections? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #13819: What is maximum limit on max_connections?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM, <ashish.chauhan@support.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      13819
> Logged by:          Ashish Chauhan
> Email address:      ashish.chauhan@support.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.1
> Operating system:   Ubuntu
>
> Hi,
>
> I am new to this community and not sure this is right place to ask questi=
on
> so please guide me if I have to ask question some other place.
>
> Currently, we have 300 max_connection on production and we are feeling we
> need to increase it to 500. I want to know what is recommended maximum
> limit
> for max_connection? Do we need to start thinking of pooling?

No, this is not the right place.  Usage questions belong on the general
list.

You use a bug reporting list when you want to report, and generally prove,
a problem with the software in question.  Mainly it doing something that it
is not documented to do or providing a demonstrably wrong result.  This
applies to any bug reporting list, not just ours.  Most communities have
lists intended for general questions and learning.

To answer your question I would have thought about pooling when I hit the
100 connection mark if not sooner.  Whether 300 or 500 hundred is too many
is highly dependent on your usage patterns and system hardware.  But in all
likelihood you would benefit from adding a pooling layer in between the
clients and the server.

David J.
=E2=80=8B