Re: Removing SSL renegotiation (Was: Should we back-patch SSL renegotiation fixes?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Removing SSL renegotiation (Was: Should we back-patch SSL renegotiation fixes?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2015-06-24 16:41:48 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> I, by now, have come to a different conclusion. I think it's time to
> entirely drop the renegotiation support.

I think by now we essentially concluded that we should do that. What I'm
not sure yet is how: Do we want to rip it out in master and just change
the default in the backbranches, or do we want to rip it out in all
branches and leave a faux guc in place in the back branches. I vote for
the latter, but would be ok with both variants.

​3. ​Change the "default" and make the guc impotent - in the back branches.  Its minimally invasive and accomplishes the same user-facing goal as "ripping it out".
​  Leaving dead code around in master seems undesirable so ripping it out from there would still make sense.  This does provide an easy fall-back in the back-branches if we are accused of being overly parental.

David J.