Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Give a better error for duplicate entries inVACUUM/ANALYZE colu - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Give a better error for duplicate entries inVACUUM/ANALYZE colu
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 9/25/17 15:09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 9/21/17 18:13, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Give a better error for duplicate entries in VACUUM/ANALYZE column list.
>
>> In the error message, we should write "specified more than once" instead
>> of "specified twice", because that could otherwise look a bit silly:
>> VACUUM ANALYZE vaccluster(i,i,i);
>> ERROR:  column "i" of relation "vaccluster" is specified twice
>
> OK.
>
>> (Also, the "is" doesn't seem to fit there.)
>
> Hm, reads fine to me, and I'd still rather include "is" in the
> revised wording.  Anybody else agree with Peter's wording?

Note a big deal.  I'm just working off existing error messages:

​About half of those, especially the "appears" ones, seem unhelpful for deciding whether to add "is" here; "is appears" just doesn't work.

​I think the added length due to the "of relation %", makes dropping the 'is' sound more odd than those like "column % specified"

The middle ground would be writing: column "i" of relation "vaccluster" appears more than once; I'm good with using appears instead of deciding between [is] specified.

I'm not seeing that we have a formal distinction between "specified" and "appears"...

David J.