Re: Fwd: [BUGS] BUG #14247: COMMENT is restored on wrong database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Fwd: [BUGS] BUG #14247: COMMENT is restored on wrong database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 5:42 PM, David G. Johnston
> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> The fact that pg_dump is emitting COMMENT ON DATABASE at all is
> fundamentally wrong given the existing division-of-labor decisions,
> namely that pg_dump is responsible for objects within a database
> not for database-level properties.

> I think a while back somebody had the idea of making COMMENT ON
> CURRENT_DATABASE or COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE work, which seems like
> an elegant solution to me.  Of course, I just work here.

I'm fairly annoyed at David for having selectively quoted from private
email in a public forum, but that was one of the points I touched on
in material that he cut.

The point I tried to make to him is that
possibly COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE is a portion of a holistic solution,
but it's only a portion.

I should have asked first and ​I'll take the heat for choosing to re-post publicly but I kept this aspect of your recommendation precisely because that was indeed your position.

TL>> It's entirely possible that some feature like COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE
TL>> would be a necessary component of a holistic solution,​ [ various other ON CURRENT commands elidded ]​
I'm all for an elegant solution here though at some point having a working solution now beats waiting for someone to willingly dive more deeply into pg_dump.  I too seem to recall previous proposals for COMMON ON CURRENT DATABASE yet here we are...

​David J.​