Re: [BUGS] BUG #14535: SET search_path and list tables - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14535: SET search_path and list tables
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 4:33 AM, <totocrenn@gmail.com> wrote:

Bug reference:      14535
Logged by:          Thomas Crenn
Email address:      totocrenn@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
Operating system:   Windows

Hi,
I will explain the bug with an example :

I have 2 SCHEMAS : test and demo
Each schemas have the same TABLE : table

Then I change the search path :
SET search_path TO test, demo;

So when I list all the tables with \dt I should have 2 tables : test.table
and demo.table, but I only see test.table.
After checking, the table demo.table exist but is just not display on the
list.

I guess it's because the query apply a DISTINCT only on the table and not on
the couple (schema , table).
I don't know if it's a bug or if this choice is justified so i have decided
to report you this.

​It is a choice - \dt, without a object schema specified, will show you the single object that would be chosen if you have written a query ​in a similar fashion:

i.e., SELECT * FROM table;

The table name above can only refer to a single object - chosen based upon search_path order.

David J.