Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Jeremy Schneider <schnjere@amazon.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Jeremy Schneider <schnjere@amazon.com> writes:
> My main feedback on the CoC is that it doesn't really say anything about
> what to do if the complaint is against a core team member. This was
> mentioned elsewhere in the email thread and I'm a bit surprised there's
> nothing explicit in the CoC. If someone feels they have been treated in
> a grossly inappropriate manner by a core team member, is it worthwhile
> to report this? I think they'd want to know a little more about what the
> process will be for that special case.

Yeah, somebody else made a similar point upthread.  I guess we felt that
the proper procedure was obvious given the structure, but maybe not.
I could support adding text to clarify this, perhaps along the line of

        In the event of a complaint against a CoC committee member, the
        process proceeds normally, but that person is excluded from the
        committee's discussions in the matter.  Similarly, in the event of
        a complaint against a core team member, the process proceeds
        normally, but that person is excluded from any core review that
        may occur.

and maybe also

        In such cases, removal from the committee or core is another
        possible sanction, in addition to those mentioned above.

Yeah, while it is pretty much self-evident I would agree that stating it explicitly would benefit the document.  Both parts.

On the topic of privacy - who exactly, from an administrative aspect, has access to the systems that house these kinds of confidential communications?  Do these emails end up in PostgreSQL.org servers long-term or is it mainly transient distribution and only individual's personal email accounts, with whatever hosting provider they choose, hold the messages long-term?

David J.