Re: bogus psql "could not save history file[...]" message in 9.3.6 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: bogus psql "could not save history file[...]" message in 9.3.6
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> > Installed 9.3.6 from apt.postgresql.org onto a reasonably clean Ubuntu
> > 14.04 (trusty)
>
> > $ sudo apt-get install [...] # ok
> > $ ls -la /var/lib/postgresql # 9.3 is the only result; equivalent to (l=
> > -la ~)
> > $ sudo su - postgres # ok
> > $ psql # ok
> >> select 1; # ok
> >> \q # 'could not save history to file
> "/var/lib/postgresql/.psql_history":
> > No such file or directory' !!!
>
> Sigh ... let me guess ... libedit?  How old?  What was the last
> combination that worked on this platform?
>
> The only patch recently applied in this area is b0fd5c552, which I really
> don't think would have any impact on exit-time saving behavior.  What
> seems substantially more likely is that your command history library
> changed.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

=E2=80=8BI can research a bit: I'm using a 14.04 Vagrant box
(box-cutter/ubuntu1404-desktop )
with some pre-installed (notably Libre (Open?) Office) on the box
=E2=80=8Bbefore
I added tmux, git, and Sublime Text 3 myself
=E2=80=8Band then
install
=E2=80=8Bed=E2=80=8B
PostgreSQL.

=E2=80=8BCan you give me a command to run to check what it is you are sayin=
g.  My
Linux-fu is not that strong yet...=E2=80=8B

=E2=80=8BThere isn't any actual problem writing the history out, even the f=
irst
time, there is just the spurious warning.

This is my first time using Ubuntu 14.04 for any purpose.

I'm not inclined to spend too much time figuring out how the system came to
be whacked, if it is, but if you've got a few quick things I can check I'd
be glad to do so.

David J.=E2=80=8B