Re: bogus psql "could not save history file[...]" message in 9.3.6 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bogus psql "could not save history file[...]" message in 9.3.6
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Installed 9.3.6 from apt.postgresql.org onto a reasonably clean Ubuntu
> 14.04 (trusty)

> $ sudo apt-get install [...] # ok
> $ ls -la /var/lib/postgresql # 9.3 is the only result; equivalent to (ls
> -la ~)
> $ sudo su - postgres # ok
> $ psql # ok
>> select 1; # ok
>> \q # 'could not save history to file "/var/lib/postgresql/.psql_history":
> No such file or directory' !!!

Sigh ... let me guess ... libedit?  How old?  What was the last
combination that worked on this platform?

The only patch recently applied in this area is b0fd5c552, which I really
don't think would have any impact on exit-time saving behavior.  What
seems substantially more likely is that your command history library
changed.

            regards, tom lane